About Furniture Medic
Furniture Care Tips
Stop Furniture Damage Before it Starts
Furniture is an investment that should last for generations. Keep yours in beautiful condition by protecting it from common household catastrophes. Here are some helpful hints to help you keep your furniture looking its best.
- Avoid all cleaners containing ammonia. It can damage your wood furniture
- Frequently dust with a soft, dry, clean cloth
- Make sure your furniture polish does not contain a high amount of alcohol as it can damage wood finishes
- Use coasters with felt or cork bottoms to reduce water rings
- Protect furniture from hot serving dishes with a table cloth, oven mitt or hot plate
- Be careful when cleaning, never allow moisture to be trapped between glass and a wood surface – make sure all surfaces are completely dry
- Position furniture away from direct sunlight – sunlight dries out wood surfaces
- If you have pets that get on your wood chairs and table tops, protect those surfaces with a table cloth, chair cover or protective pad; this is the best way to prevent damage from scratches
Wood and Moisture: Preserving the Delicate Balance
Heavy moisture or dryness can harm wood furniture. Moisture in furniture can often lead to mildew, while dryness can cause furniture to lose its natural luster and weaken joints. Here are a few tips on how to care for your furniture.
- Avoid placing furniture in steamy bathrooms or laundry areas which may cause them to be exposed to excess moisture
- Dramatic temperature changes can affect the humidity levels causing more moisture to exist in the air
- Don’t let your home get too dry; excessively dry areas can cause your wood furniture to shrink, split or become brittle
- Protect wood surfaces from direct contact with water; place glass surfaces over table tops or use coasters, hot plates and table cloths to protect your furniture from hot or wet surfaces
Also, be careful when cleaning furniture pulls or glass accessories by making sure all surfaces are completely dry.
Have questions? Visit our FAQ section or give us a call today at 519-251-9412.